Monday, November 2, 2009

What a Weekend!

*This is a LONG post*
From the first time that we met Bullen and Andrew, we've been telling them about the National Peanut Festival. And this weekend we got to share that experience with them! I don't think they had any idea what to expect, but I know they had a great time! On our way into town Friday night, we stopped and had dinner with my family. It was hectic, as always, with 3 busy little boys, but I'm very thankful that my family got to meet our dear friends. My Dad asked them what their favorite thing about being in America was and they both said, "school!" Can you believe that?! They are so grateful to be getting an education.
We left my parents' house and went to Yancy's parents' house where Yancy's Dad had been smoking pork butts all day. Bullen and Andrew got to "shoot the bull" and wait for the pork. (They think that saying is so funny!) We also had boiled and raw peanuts while we waited. They prefer them raw. Saturday, we relaxed and ate A LOT! In between the eating, my Mom helped them with their math homework. They were so kind to her and kept saying that she is "the smartest one." I thought that was so nice. And Mom said they they are doing great with their algebra, just needed some guidance. Cynthia and Harold were the perfect hosts, as always. They both worked hard preparing all the food. We had bbq, brunswick stew, corn, beans, and veggies. Jerri made a delicious mac n cheese with crushed Cheez-Its on top... my favorite! I was full all weekend. And then we sat around the fire, telling stories and visiting.Then on to the excitement... the fair! Even with all the talk about the fair, they still didn't know what to expect. I think they were expecting a show, but they were not disappointed. We got them on the farris wheel and bumper cars. And Yancy finally talked Andrew into riding the Indy 500, a little roller coaster.
And who can go to the fair and not eat?!?! We had the best corn dogs ever from The Corn Dog Man and, of course, I had to have an elephant ear. It's not the fair to me without one!



Sunday, they had the opportunity to speak at my home church in Dothan and then at AUMC here in Auburn. They did an awesome job! Their testimonies are so powerful! I meant to take pictures, but I was listening and forgot. Oh, well... I think I took enough pictures... I told you this was a long post! It was a really great weekend!

1 comment:

The Solomons said...

This is so wonderful. I'm glad ya'll had a great weekend.