Monday, February 2, 2009

Rest for the Weary

I've always liked the verses in Matthew that say "Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest." Have you ever felt weary? What does that even mean, weary? And how does Jesus give us rest when we come to Him? I've been thinking about this scripture for about a week, pondering the answer to those questions, mainly because I think that's what I'm feeling. I looked up "weary" and one definition is "having one's patience exhausted." I'm definitely there! So how do I get rest? According to Jesus, all I have to do is come to Him. He wants me to come to Him, not when I have it all figured out, but because I'll never have it all figured out. He wants me to come to Him- bringing my weariness, my burdens, my sadness, my hopes, my sin- and He promises to give me rest. How can He promise rest? Because He can't lie. Because He is full of grace. Because He paid my sin debt. Because He loves me so much. Because He is kind. Because He is humble and gentle. Because He wants to carry my burdens for me. Because His patience never ends. I can rest in Jesus because of who He is- perfect, holy, sovereign... God. Feeling weary like me? Come to Jesus and find rest!

Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: