Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Broken but not bitter

I think I've felt more pain the past few days than I ever have. My heart is broken and I've been overwhelmed by sadness. To be completely honest, I feel like it was kinda mean of God to take away the gift He had just given us, the gift we'd prayed for and desired for SO long. But I KNOW God is not mean! HE IS GOOD and His actions are never anything but good. And I don't want to become bitter, so I'm clinging to the truth that God works in all things to bring about good.

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

But even in the pain and sadness, we have so much to be thankful for. God's presence has covered and surrounded us. It has been so real and so sweet. He has poured out His love on us and I have never felt more sure of His love for me. It's been a great comfort to know that He sees each tear we cry (Psalm 56:8) and that He hurts along with us. And He has used you, our sweet friends and family, to minister to us, encourage us and love on us. It's such a comfort to know that you all are praying for us! And the physical needs you have met for us (like really good food!) have been such a blessing! You have been the hands and feet of Jesus to us this week. Oh, how we thank you!

I am also thankful for God's protection over us. He has graciously protected us from anger and bitterness. And He has blessed and protected our marriage. It has been a sweet time for me and Yancy as we have hurt together and loved each other.

Again, we really cannot thank you enough for all you have done for us. We are so grateful and so humbled!

"Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 106:1

5 comments:

The Solomons said...

Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. No matter what has happened over the past week, I have continued to ache for you. We love you so much -please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

We love you guys.....we would love to hang out when you guys are ready.

Maggie M. Cooper said...

Joy, Thank you so much for your honesty and continued faith. You are such a precious couple, and we think of you and pray for you often. I want to bring you dinner,so I will try to get a time with you.

Lori said...

Joy, I am so encouraged by your words. Thank you for sharing your journey as God works through you. You and Yancy are such an amazing couple. I will be praying for you!

Teri Dunaway said...

Joy and Yancy, I can certainly empathize with your grief, though I cannot say I have ever felt the same. You are both so sweet and so special, I cannot help but believe that God has something super special waiting for you. It's just the waiting that is SO hard. We love you, and will continue to pray for you. Do NOT forget that!